Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 7: Twosday


After the dreaded canoe-yacht debacle, I was a little slower to scramble out of the top bunk this morning. I was so tired last night that I decided to get up early to launder the field clothing I needed to wear today. Due to spin cycle issues, I spent the first half hour of the morning in the training center wearing my mermaid PJ pants and a Snoopy t-shirt. When the lake team finally loaded up our gear, I was dressed in damp field clothes.

Our team was plus one for the day's activity. Our transient team member Brian joined the group this morning. His presence immediately changed our mojo. The first time Brian had a net in his hand, he captured one of the frogs that had eluded us for an entire day. This would be the first of many captures.

Highlight: Brian celebrated Twosday in the most epic fashion possible. He captured a Northern Water Snake during the afternoon survey. Not just any Northern Water Snake, but one that had just caught a large Bull Frog by it's back leg. When Brian emerged from the reeds, he had a firm grip on the snake which in turn had a firm grip on the frog. We were able to sample and process both animals and return them to the water relatively unharmed.

This was the first time that I have ever drawn blood from a snake of any kind. I located the cloaca with some help from Matt and held off the snake's tail. A certain Dr. Ray would have been proud when I hit the caudal vein on the first stick. The streak is back, War Damn Eagle!

Not anticipating the capture of a water snake, we found ourselves without a bag to use for weight. In the name of science, I took off my shirt. After tying the neck and arms closed, we were able to use it to find out the snake weighed sixteen ounces. I smelled vaguely of snake musk for the remainder of the day. Totally worth it.

Upon returning the snake to the water, Brian commented that he heard this species was "really aggressive". The rumors are true. The snake circled around and swam back at us like it wanted to taste our flesh. Not only had we stolen his meal, we also took some of his blood. I can't say I blame him, I would probably do the same thing.

Lowlight: Going with the twosday theme, I am going to share two lowlights. A frog escaped my grip while preparing to collect data. With a curse, I dropped to my knees to try to recapture the crafty little bugger. Alas, he soon disappeared not to be seen again. I still stink at catching frogs.

My second lowlight of the day was during data collection on another frog. I could not find the portable scale anywhere in my field pack. My teammate searched her pack for the scale as well. As she began to trek back to search the ground we had covered for it, I looked down. I had been sticking out of my front pocket the entire time. Good thing it was not a Northern Water Snake or I would have been in real trouble...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment