Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 4: Rain Delay

Day 4 got underway with a good old fashioned rain delay. After packing up the worlds smallest backpack with all the essentials for project data and sample collection, marching to our field site in the pouring rain, the radio put an end to our excursion. Lightning had been spotted in the storm making a pond survey unsafe so we hiked back to the trucks.

The rain delay turned into paper writing time. It's been so long since I had to write an actual research paper that I am having some trouble getting started. Coming here I was really excited about the field work, not so much the paper writing. When I later found out that the restoration ecology group was outside planting trees throughout the entire storm I decided that I should not complain about how boring research papers can be at times.

After an evening spent watching the sunset and counting stars in my backyard, a bunkside conversation with my roommate may have given me a new idea for an additional research project this summer. It's too early to really say what I plan to do but I think it could be a fairly good one. I guess I'll find out when I pitch it to Joe in the morning.

Highlight of the day: An email from my mother who is "technology challenged" written in half-caps. The email stated that my father told her I was writting a blog and she would like to read it. Please excuse me while I take the time to finish my reply email...MOM, if you can read this YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT...

Lowlight of the day: After returning from lunch, all of the floor mats in the classrom had disappeared. With all the rain there was no way to dust for fingerprints but I suspect the kids camp councilors.

Final Note: If you want to see my backyard and other instagood things that I see this summer, check out my new instagram widget on the right side of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment