Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 5: Mud On The Tires

Driving into the park today, I saw a giraffe walking along the hillside in the distance. The whole scene was very Jurrasic Park (before the dinosaurs escaped). Even after a week, I still get this feeling of childlike awe anytime I enter the gates of The Wilds.

During the morning lake survey, I had the chance to observe a family of osprey who called a post next to the lake home. My birdwatching session was cut short by a call from my boss alerting us to his capture of a green frog on the other side of the pond.

Shortly after finishing up with collecting data from the frog capture, we were luck enough to find another snapping turtle. I pulled out my iPhone and got some great video of the snapping turtle capture. This female turtle weighed in at a whopping 27 pounds. The rest of the day did not yield any more animals but the weather was so nice I didn't mind.

Highlight: I now understand why people love to go mudding. Slip-sliding down a dirt road in my truck was AWESOME! During our afternoon trip into the field, I hit a giant mud puddle and the spray was enough to coat my truck from bumper to bumper. Can't hardly wait to do it again.

Lowlight: My one stick streak has come to an end. I guess I cursed myself by putting it on the blog. I was still able to draw blood from the turtle, but only on my third attempt. Hopefully I will be able to start a new streak as soon as possible.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment