Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 14: First

Gentle ripples spread out from camouflage boots
Grey skies mirrored in the pond surface below
Determined intent spreads tightly across my face
A careful parting of the cattails uncovers my quarry
Another step would reveal my position
I pounce
My hands leading the way
I rise
Bullfrog firmly grasped between my fingers
I yell
FINALLY!
I feel
If only for a single moment in time, I am the King of the Frog Catchers

This was the begining of a day filled with firsts. Amy Ray was the sunshine during a rainy day here at The Wilds. She is continuing her path to a full recovery. She had so many firsts today I think it is best to put them in a list.
  • Discovered the water fountain in the corner of the room. She was scratching her face on the outer rim of the bowl and accidentally dipped her tiny nose underwater. Shocked, she withdrew immediately and shook her head.
  • Stood up on her own. I know it was happening when I was not around because I would return to find her standing with her Mom. I was suprised by the relative gracefulness.  
  • When she was seperated from her mother, Amy Ray called back in response to her mother's bellowing.
  • During the antiseptic cleaning of her elbow wound, she turned and tried to bite the resident vet. She does not have all her teeth yet, so it would have been more adorable than painful.
  • Burped softly after finishing her bottle. I could not stiffle my laughter.
Highlight: Today's highlight was the most important first of the day. I am proud to announce that for the first time since entering the Medical Barn, Amy Ray did NOT need to have intervenous fluids. Even though she is still on medication and being treated for lesions, the fact that "supportive care" is kind of a big deal. Let's hope that she continues on this path and we can put the days of IV behind us.

Lowlight: Amy Ray is being bottle fed from glass soda bottles. Her favorite is a Pepsi-cola bottle that has a label which leads me to believe that it is antique. While stacking the freshly washed pans after the evening feeding, one slipped and knocked the Pepsi bottle from the counter. It broke into a million little pieces. I swept up not only all the glass, but the entire clinic floor. We shall never speak of said bottle again...

No comments:

Post a Comment