Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 11: Unlucky Thirteen

"Oooh fuuudge! Only I didn't say 'Fudge.' I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the 'F-dash-dash-dash' word!" - Ralphie in A Christmas Story

9:30: We arrive at Lake Thirteen.
9:35: I begin the survey in my hip waders in search of my green leaping arch enemies.
9:37: I hear a frog jump in the reeds just in front of me. I decided that I would circle out into the shallow water to force him to the shore where I would have the upper hand.
9:38: Find out the shallow park of the lake is a lie. The footing gives way underneath my second step. I fill up BOTH of my hip waders.
9:39: The person behind me says, "I decided to follow you for the free entertainment." (I'm pretty sure that my fishing buddies back home follow me into the stream for the same reason)

The morning survey was completely worthless. Lake Team packed up our gear in preparation to survey the next site with hopes of better luck to follow. As my tires spun throwing mud over my freshly washed car, I was one with Ralphie.

Lowlight: The ground underneath Ol’ Sunny Jim, my faithful F150, swallowed his tires up to the running boards. We rocked, pushed, pulled and begged but to no avail. Lake Team gathered tree branches and grass in an attempt to free Sunny Jim from his swampy prison. We only managed to dig a deeper hole with each turn of the tires.

After an hour of trial and error, we finally admitted defeat and radioed for help. After half an hour, we saw help on the horizon. The only problem being that horizon was an adjacent lake with no direct path to our location. Our John Deer driving savior did not spot us from across the pond. I now know how a shipwrecked sailor must feel. After two hours of being stuck in the mud, help finally arrived to free Sunny Jim.

Highlight: The radio crackled with a message from the head veterinarian of The Wilds. She was requesting that I come to the vet hospital at 1:15pm. When I arrived she asked if I would be interested in assisting with treatment on a two week old baby Bactrian camel, a critically endangered species. I agreed to help before she finished the question.

The baby camel was brought into the hospital because a keeper thought that she might have been kicked by another animal on exhibit. Upon examination, a serious infection of the umbilicus was discovered. They had begun a treatment regimen of bottle feeding, fluids and antibiotic therapy every four hours. I would be lending a hand during the afternoon and evening shifts.
 
When we walked into the medical barn stall where she was being held, it took every ounce of willpower not to run in and hug her little neck. I knelt next to her and she leaned her weary body into me. I stayed in that position even after I felt the tingles of my legs going to sleep.

During each of the sessions, I noticed small progress. Her vitals are improving but she still has a way to go before she will be ready to return to the pasture with the rest of her family. I'll be sure to keep updating you on her condition as the case progresses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment