Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 6: Staring Contest

She fixed her gaze upon mine, inviting me to look away. I refused to be the first one to blink. Promises tumbled from my mouth which I knew I could not keep. If she would only let me touch her skin, just for a moment, it would be enough. She looked at me as though she had heard it all before, stopping short of calling me a liar.

I begged her to reconsider as I inched closer. Reassuring her that my intentions were true. I whispered sweetly that I would never do her any harm. Slowly I knelt down beside her. Her stare said it all, "Not today, not ever. I will never be yours to have and to hold."

Unwavering in my determination, I reached out my hand to her. That was the moment she looked away. A squeal then two quick hops followed by cacophony of laughter from her friends. The female green frog which I wanted to catch so very badly disappeared into the reeds and then splashed away into the pond. This was the story of the day for specimen collection. The lesson learned? I stink at catching frogs but I can beat them in a staring contest every time.

Highlight: Our pond research team is really starting to gel. We work well together and everyone has complimentary skills. The team building exercise that we did this afternoon brought us all a little closer together.

Lowlight: The "team building exercise". Per our request, we were given a canoe to do our pond surveys. It is two-tone yellow fiberglass fitted with wooden seats sporting built in cup holders. The luxury yacht of canoes. Sadly, it also weighs roughly the same amount as a luxury yacht.

We pushed, pulled, cursed and carried our canoe all day long across several miles of hilly terrain and challenging cover. The trip to the pond was muggy and hot under cloudy skies. The quest back to the truck was muddy, wet, rainy and miserable. It took every ounce of strength from our team to complete the journey.

I am now sporting two rope burns across the tops of my shoulders from my impression of an ox dragging the canoe-yacht up a fourty-five degree slope. Another team member has a bruise in the shape of the docking tie on her thigh. When we finally got into the truck to head home, a voice from the back seat said "I hope I never see another canoe again". Chelsea, I could not agree more....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment