Sunday, July 28, 2013

Days 31-35: Sticks and Stones

Sticks and stones and mud and leaves
All look like turtles to me
Searching underwater in a pond
For painted turtles of which I am fond 
Could have been a turtle shellJust another rock, oh well
Poke up their head, then swim awayThis is the story of each day
For a week without a capture
Feels like the opposite of rapture
Basking on a log in the sun
I approach, turtles run
They wait until I'm chest deep
Sliding down a bank too steep
Swim away when I come towardA wet t-shirt my only reward. 

That sums up the week that I have had in the field. It was pretty much one long low light of a week with regard to my turtle study.

Highlights: We had another "kids camp" this week for High School kids interested in Veterinary Medicine. I was asked to help with the darting lab which was awesome. I got to fire all the different types of dart guns used here at the wilds. With the scoped rifle I put a nice tight pattern on the target which included a bullseye.




No comments:

Post a Comment