Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 24: The Neighbors

I have decided not to regale you with the tales of another day hiking the north. Rather, I am going to tell you about one of the things I will miss the most when this internship has run it's course. My neighbors here are what make this experience an 'A+'.

One of the first neighbors that I met here is a fat groundhog. I have named him 'Whistle Pig'. He hangs around with the Bunnies next door. The lot of them can regularly be found munching on the vegetation surrounding our cabin. I regularly have breakfast with Whistle Pig and the Bunnies.

Further down the shore line, a family of beavers built themselves a nice dam house. The beavers usually swim by but they never stop to chat. Always too busy for small talk. I guess a beaver's work is never done.

The Great Blue Herons live across the pond. Most of the time, we see them just hanging around on the shore line. Watching them take flight is quite impressive, especially when they launch from the water. From time to time, their friends the Geese will show up for dinner. They usually end up leaving with a squak.

Lately when I have been going on my evening run, I am coming across eight to ten turkey vultures. I usually see them late in my run when I am huffing and puffing my way along the last mile. The vultures make a weak attempt to move out of my way when I approach. I tell them, "Not today guys!" as I run past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment