Monday, August 26, 2013

The Final Chapter?

As I write these words, it has been ten days since I left southeastern Ohio for my home in Auburn. Already I have missed so much. One of my best friends first born child entered the world as I crossed the Tennessee line headed south. My cabin in the woods was difficult to leave for many reasons.

This summer has increased my skills and knowledge so much. If I went into this internship with any doubts, they have all be wiped away. Conservation medicine has developed from a curiosity to a passion.

If all goes well, I hope to return for another summer of research work with the eastern hellbender salamander. Our last day in the field was a triumphant double digit capture day. We went into the stream with a goal of finding eight salamanders. This seemed outlandish to me since our previous two surveys netted three captures. Not only did we find ten of these endangered salamanders, but we found the largest female that I have ever personally seen. Her head was as wide as my palm and she was twenty three inches from nose to tail.

I wish I could make this longer and more thorough but my life has shifted into another gear. I am currently in the midst of the dreaded "Second Year". It just so happens that some of my classes are starting right where my independent study this summer was leading me. I have also learned that our wildlife caseload is apparently going up as we have a had a baby giraffe and baby tiger treated by the staff at Auburn. I know what you are thinking, but I still will not put any pictures in my  blog.

HIGHLIGHT: It was a magical journey and thank you for sharing it with me.
LOWLIGHT: Next summer seem so far away....

No comments:

Post a Comment